Short for polylatic acid, PLA is the most common filament material for FFF printers. For general use PLA is available in many different colors and is often used in the creation of different exotic filaments. It is compostable as well.
Random information about PLA is as follows:
- Melts at 180-230 degrees Celcius
- Doesn't require glue, ABS slurry or heated platforms to prevent warping and first-layer adhesion
- Gives off a sweet smell during heating and extrusion due to it's plant base origins
- Can be extremely shiny after extrusion
- Can be warp with changing ambient temperature
- Can jam, gum up or bubble with too much moisture and humidity from storage or in the environment as it extrudes